The Philosophical Perfection Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Buddha Chat

Does Einstein have a religion?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Winglee
Winglee

Female Number of posts : 44
Job/hobbies : Movies and Philosophy!
Registration date : 2008-12-25

Does Einstein have a religion? Empty
PostSubject: Does Einstein have a religion?   Does Einstein have a religion? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 9:37 pm

Does Einstien have a religion?
Back to top Go down
Conatus
Conatus

Male Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Does Einstein have a religion?   Does Einstein have a religion? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 10:07 pm

No he did not.

And Im so damn tired of you change this word (unacceptable word) childish idiots who keep being religious and keep having faith!!!

Stop lying! Grow up! Youre making fools out of yourselves!

http://atheism.about.com/od/einsteingodreligion/tp/EinsteinGodReligionScience.htm

"For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. "

"A man who is convinced of the truth of his religion is indeed never tolerant. At the least, he is to feel pity for the adherent of another religion but usually it does not stop there. The faithful adherent of a religion will try first of all to convince those that believe in another religion and usually he goes on to hatred if he is not successful. However, hatred then leads to persecution when the might of the majority is behind it. In the case of a Christian clergyman, the tragic-comical is found in this... "

"To take those fools in clerical garb seriously is to show them too much honor. "

"I am satisfied with the mystery of life's eternity and with a knowledge, a sense, of the marvelous structure of existence - as well as the humble attempt to understand even a tiny portion of the Reason that manifests itself in nature. "

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. "
Back to top Go down
The Philosopher
Admin
The Philosopher

Male Number of posts : 320
Job/hobbies : Engineer
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Does Einstein have a religion?   Does Einstein have a religion? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:08 pm

Einstein's comments on Christianity taken down by Viereck, Einstein carefully read the clipping and replied, "That is what I believe." See Brian pp. 277 - 278

"To what extent are you influenced by Christianity?"

Einstein replied ,"As a child, I received instruction both in the Bible and in the Talmud. I am a Jew, but I am enthralled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene."

"Have you read Emil Ludwig's book on Jesus?

"Emil Ludwig's Jesus," replied Einstein, "is shallow. Jesus is too colossal for the pen of phrasemongers, however artful. No man can dispose of Christianity with a bon mot."

"You accept the historical existence of Jesus?"

Einstein replied ,"Unquestionably. No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life. How different, for instance, is the impression which we receive from an account of legendary heroes of antiquity like Theseus. Theseus and other heroes of his type lack the authentic vitality of Jesus."

"Ludwig Lewisohn, in one of his recent books, claims that many of the sayings of Jesus paraphrase the sayings of other prophets."

"No man," Einstein replied, "can deny the fact that Jesus existed, nor that his sayings are beautiful. Even if some them have been said before, no one has expressed them so divinely as he."
Back to top Go down
Conatus
Conatus

PostSubject: Re: Does Einstein have a religion?   Does Einstein have a religion? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:48 pm

In what ways do Einsteins atheism contradict his admiration for Jesus or the writings about Jesus or his belief that Jesus was real, as a historicalfigure?

Exactly, it doesnt. One can be able to admire a lot of things without believing in every thing about them. I, for example admire Bachs Mattheus Passion, and a lot of christian culture and art is beautiful, this does not mean i believe it to be true.

Please think next time.
Back to top Go down
The Philosopher
Admin
The Philosopher

Male Number of posts : 320
Job/hobbies : Engineer
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Does Einstein have a religion?   Does Einstein have a religion? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:36 am

Let's continue the interview :

Is this Spinoza's God?

"I am fascinated by Spinoza's pantheism, but I admire even more his contribution to modern thought because he is the first philosopher to deal with the soul and body as one, and not two separate things."

Do you believe in immortality?

"No. And one life is enough for me.

Do you believe in God?

"I'm not an atheist. I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws."

Is this a Jewish concept of God?

"I am a determinist. I do not believe in free will. Jews believe in free will. They believe that man shapes his own life. I reject that doctrine. In that respect I am not a Jew."

Back to top Go down
Conatus
Conatus

PostSubject: Re: Does Einstein have a religion?   Does Einstein have a religion? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:09 am

Hes nor an atheist or pantheist, hes a determinist and doesnt believe in an afterlife. It seems, if you take my quotes in counting, that he had a very modern and good way of seeing religion.
Back to top Go down
Jari

Male Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Does Einstein have a religion?   Does Einstein have a religion? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 3:25 am

according to one documentary einstein is a jew. but he blieves God has moved on, after creating our galaxy.

i was asked to post what i wrote in the shout box earlier... :

truth comes from God, not from men anyways, so why look what some "genious" thinks

people want to hide God, because they are afraid of the truth... so they rather not think about it whole their lifes

just pray to Jesus, to see if He's really there..

i hope you think about that
Back to top Go down
Conatus
Conatus

PostSubject: Re: Does Einstein have a religion?   Does Einstein have a religion? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 am

Jari wrote:
according to one documentary einstein is a jew. but he blieves God has moved on, after creating our galaxy.

i was asked to post what i wrote in the shout box earlier... :

truth comes from God, not from men anyways, so why look what some "genious" thinks
people want to hide God, because they are afraid of the truth... so they rather not think about it whole their lifes
just pray to Jesus, to see if He's really there..

i hope you think about that

Yes, weve already established that spinoza was some kind of atheist'7pantheist. Which means he dont believe God is present in any kind of manifestation except creating the world, and according to spinoza he is also the world, the very substance of the world.

Truth is something we men figure out for ourselves in our brains. It does not come from "god". Not very lucid statements.
Back to top Go down
Jari

PostSubject: Re: Does Einstein have a religion?   Does Einstein have a religion? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 6:22 pm

Conatus wrote:

Truth is something we men figure out for ourselves in our brains. It does not come from "god". Not very lucid statements.

thats why i said you could pray and know the truth. divine communication is something science will never understand because God speaks when HE wants to and cannot be tested. That's why you need to be humble and pray.
Back to top Go down
Conatus
Conatus

PostSubject: Re: Does Einstein have a religion?   Does Einstein have a religion? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 12:00 am

Jari wrote:
Conatus wrote:

thats why i said you could pray and know the truth. divine communication is something science will never understand because God speaks when HE wants to and cannot be tested. That's why you need to be humble and pray.

Ok, nothing-buttery. I dont pray, i dont believe in god, still I can know stuff. That makes me believe that god doesnt care or doesnt matter.
Back to top Go down
Winglee
Winglee

PostSubject: Re: Does Einstein have a religion?   Does Einstein have a religion? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 12:59 am

Conatus wrote:

Ok, nothing-buttery. I dont pray, i dont believe in god, still I can know stuff. That makes me believe that god doesnt care or doesnt matter.

Thats the point! why can i possibly live without god? that makes me rethink about the definition of god. GOD in my vocabulary is the infinity and everything and at the same time nothing. i can live with him or without him, no difference. We can of course deny the existence of the god as ONE, but if we do so, we have to admit and have actually admitted its from as ZERO, the other way round. 1 and 0, the basic component of the universe.
Back to top Go down
Conatus
Conatus

PostSubject: Re: Does Einstein have a religion?   Does Einstein have a religion? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 2:11 am

Winglee wrote:

Thats the point! why can i possibly live without god? that makes me rethink about the definition of god. GOD in my vocabulary is the infinity and everything and at the same time nothing. i can live with him or without him, no difference. We can of course deny the existence of the god as ONE, but if we do so, we have to admit and have actually admitted its from as ZERO, the other way round. 1 and 0, the basic component of the universe.

Sure. Your notion of god seems to resemble einstein and spinozas in some way.
Spinozas thought about god as the only substance, the "everything" made him a strict materialist and atheist.
Back to top Go down
Winglee
Winglee

PostSubject: Re: Does Einstein have a religion?   Does Einstein have a religion? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 3:06 am

wt do einstine and spinozas think about LOVE is? truth?
Back to top Go down
Conatus
Conatus

PostSubject: Re: Does Einstein have a religion?   Does Einstein have a religion? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 3:34 am

Winglee wrote:
wt do einstine and spinozas think about LOVE is? truth?

Spinoza has a long explanation about this thoughts on affections. You should seek out more of spinoza in a book.
Back to top Go down
Jari

PostSubject: Re: Does Einstein have a religion?   Does Einstein have a religion? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:00 pm

Conatus wrote:
Jari wrote:
Conatus wrote:

Yes i understand. But like you said, you don't care to know Him, you should! Rather than just working as in some campaign for atheism, disbelief on God.

:)
Back to top Go down
Peter
Beginner

Male Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Does Einstein have a religion?   Does Einstein have a religion? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 9:57 am

I suspect Einstein shared a slightly more amibguous view than that of Carl Sagan, speaking of which the audio of Pale Blue Dot, the book, is amazing and contains quite a lot devoted to this subject.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Einstein have a religion?   Does Einstein have a religion? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does Einstein have a religion?
Page 1 of 1