The Philosophical Perfection Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Buddha Chat

Witchcraft in Shamanism

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
The Philosopher
Admin
The Philosopher

Male Number of posts : 320
Job/hobbies : Engineer
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Witchcraft in Shamanism Empty
PostSubject: Witchcraft in Shamanism   Witchcraft in Shamanism Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 7:44 am

Witchcraft in Shamanism

Shaman = Spiritual and intellectual figure and healer, sometimes self-appointed, sometimes inheriting the office. He/she has the ability to communicate with spirits and perhaps animals and animal totemic spirits. Much respected and fulfilling many functions withing the social group including leading ritual activity. Shamans include: medicine man, witchdoctor, witch, and sorcerer. The terms witchdoctor, witch and sorcerer are often labels for those who deal with the dark side and are much feared among the people who use those terms to describe the evil-working type of shaman. Common among primal or traditional religions. In rationalized, literate religions we see the office of priest replacing the shaman.

Witchcraft in Shamanism Shaman

Shamanism covers an assortment of beliefs and practices claiming the ability to travel to the axis mundi (pathway between heaven and earth; or world core) for the purpose of spiritual contacts. It is also described as being the “use of the archaic techniques of ecstasy that were developed independent of any religious philosophy -- the empirically validated, experientially operable techniques that produce ecstasy. Ecstasy is the contemplation of wholeness

Shamanism takes for granted the theory that fear is the origin of religion. De La Saussaye holds that the concept of God cannot arise exclusively from fear produced by certain biological phenomena. Robertson Smith teaches that from the earliest times, religion, distinct from magic and secrecy, addresses itself to kindred and friendly beings, and that it is not with a vague fear of unknown powers but with a loving reverence for known Gods that religion in the true sense of the word began (Religion of the Semites, 2nd ed., p. 54). Tiele says "worship even in its most primitive form always contains an element of veneration" and calls sorcery "a disease of religion"

In shamanistic religion there is not a concept of dualistic good and evil . Shamanism and use of magic was an earthy belief system that most peoples turned to in order to find help for their problems. Use of magic to do harm, however, existed even with indigenous primal relgions. With the advance of literate religions with a priestly caste, and with many other primal religions, witchcraft was seen as an evil competition to their own religious practices and the practices of witches were condemned and feared.

Shamanism is closely akin to Fetishism, and at times it is difficult to tell whether the practices in vogue among certain peoples should be referred to the one or to the other. Both spring from Animism; both are systems of savage magic or science and have certain rites in common.

God has created us with a free will to Choose Him or to succumb to evil ways. Satan uses deception and demonic spirits seeking our destruction through practices like Shamanism. He lures by false results and images. “Be careful! Watch out for attacks from the Devil, your great enemy. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for some victim to devour” (1 Peter 5:8).

Last edited by The Philosopher on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft in Shamanism   Witchcraft in Shamanism Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 8:39 am

i realize that religion sees witchcraft as evil but i believe that if one has the ability to talk to spirits of higher wisdom and love or travel to other dimensions (astral projection) that much can be gain from these type of experieces. who better to gain knowledge about life and the after life than those that have already died. and if the devil was behind this how could the person be filled with so much love when he is talkin to these higher consciousness and come back a changed man for the better. why would the devil want to make a person a better human being
Back to top Go down
The Philosopher
Admin
The Philosopher

Male Number of posts : 320
Job/hobbies : Engineer
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft in Shamanism   Witchcraft in Shamanism Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 8:45 am

No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.( 2 Corinthians 11:14)
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft in Shamanism   Witchcraft in Shamanism Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 8:58 am

well if it is satan he is changing ppl for the better which doesnt sound like satan
Back to top Go down
Uratsukudoji
Uratsukudoji

Male Number of posts : 40
Job/hobbies : questioning everything
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: good vs evil?   Witchcraft in Shamanism Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 4:28 am

Well Miro certainly understands my stance on this I think,
So I will be brief I am a practitioner of certain shamanic rituals myself some of them from my ancestors some of them I created myself.
I dont claim to be a shaman by the phd description or one by my own.
The meaning of shaman the way I was taught it was in the term of "grandfather teacher" and its the one who can enter the spirit world and or guide you through it or at least go in one side of it and come out the other.

The witch thing always seems to be the largest misunderstanding witcher is a medicine trader much like pharmacist mostly they created potions and herbal mixtures and mineral compounds in pre-constantine era of roman empire.

The wicther is an evil shaman by thinking in post constantine is just as valid becuase that was what it meant after faith in god was the only needed medicine.

This change in definitions alone has created "evil witchcraft" It had nothing to do with evil then it became labeld evil and thats intention was malicious.

Thats not to say in pre christian time a witcher wouldnt sell a poisen to kill your brother.
Wicca has added much confusion to this as well people dont even read the works in wicca or even look into it they just relate that to witchcraft the post christian definition.

There is a thin line between shaman and a showman.

If you want to question the morality of "it" I would question the morality of all parties involved.

so cool topic I think i certainly have alot to add but other things need attention atm.

so if you want know about drug use in greece and rome in antiquity in general and other things try these two podcast.

gnostic media with jan irving author and researcher.
the interview linked is specific to drug use in this period.
http://gnosticmedia.podomatic.com/player/web/2009-03-22T23_47_36-07_00

occult of personality
http://odeo.com/channels/341343-Occult-of-Personality-%C2%BB-Podcasts

hopefully people wont confuse gnostic with agnostic thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft in Shamanism   Witchcraft in Shamanism Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Witchcraft in Shamanism
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Philosophical Perfection Forum :: General Forum :: Philosophical Debates-
Jump to: