The Philosophical Perfection Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Buddha Chat

the pursuit of utopia

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jott1987
Beginner

Male Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-12-13

the pursuit of utopia Empty
PostSubject: the pursuit of utopia   the pursuit of utopia Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 2:03 am

Utopia: a place of ideal perfection
perfect: being entirely without fault or defect
happiness: a state of well-being and contentment
contented: feeling or showing satisfaction with one's possessions, status, or situation
satisfaction: fulfillment of a need or want
want: to have or feel need
need: a : a lack of something requisite, desirable, or useful b : a physiological or psychological requirement for the well-being of an organism

While trying to solve all the world's problems, I heard of this place called Utopia. This idea I found was considered unrealistic and never achievable. I like those odds so I stood up to the challenge of finding Utopia.

The subject here is "the pursuit of Utopia" for a reason. In the US, we are told we have the right of "the pursuit of happiness". What is that? How do you pursue an emotion? Personally, I think that you are happy where you make yourself happy. So, truthfully, you cannot pursue an emotion. Besides that to be in the pursuit of something means that you have not caught it which means, in this case, that you are not happy. I do not think this is what our forefathers meant.

I want to look a little more at what it means to be happy. By rearranging some words I get happiness to be: a state of feeling fulfillment of a need.

So how does this relate to perfection? Since want is to have need, if we have all our needs then we have all our wants or desires. Here is the big leap I make. I will assume that to be without fault according to each individual person is equivalent to being without need for each individual person.

Now, what is Utopia? A place of being entirely without need.

Back to the beginning: the pursuit of a place of being entirely without need. I believe this is what the pursuit of happiness is.

Any ideas?

The next topic will be "the needs of people".
Back to top Go down

the pursuit of utopia
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Philosophical Perfection Forum :: General Forum :: General Discussions-
Jump to: