The Philosophical Perfection Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Buddha Chat

Gandhi - Introduction

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
The Philosopher
Admin
The Philosopher

Male Number of posts : 320
Job/hobbies : Engineer
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Gandhi - Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Gandhi - Introduction   Gandhi - Introduction Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 11:40 pm

I know the path. It is straight and narrow. It is like the edge of a sword. I rejoice to walk on it. I weep when I slip. God's word is: 'He who strives never perishes.' I have implicit faith in that promise. Though, therefore, from my weakness I fail a thousand times, I will not lose faith, but hope that I shall see the Light when the flesh has been brought under perfect subjection, as some day it must.

My soul refuses to be satisfied so long as it is a helpless witness of a single wrong or a single misery. But it is not possible for me, a weak, frail, miserable being, to mend every wrong or to hold myself free of blame for all the wrong I see.

Gandhi - Introduction Gandhi

The spirit in me pulls one way, the flesh in me pulls in the opposite direction. There is freedom from the action of these two forces, but that freedom is attainable only by slow and painful stages.

I cannot attain freedom by a mechanical refusal to act, but only by intelligent action in a detached manner. This struggle resolves itself into an incessant crucifixion of the flesh so that the spirit may become entirely free.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Gandhi - Introduction   Gandhi - Introduction Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 8:31 am

I haven't read much on Ghandi, so this is a wonderful introduction. I saw the movie when it first came out, I think I was in High School then. I am fascinated with how honest he is with his own internal struggle. He admits he's not perfect, but that he continuously strives. Yet he is so wise.

Gandhi - Introduction Good_j13
Back to top Go down
Uratsukudoji
Uratsukudoji

Male Number of posts : 40
Job/hobbies : questioning everything
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: ghandhi   Gandhi - Introduction Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 8:20 am

I always found it intresting that gandhi was a millitary man working in in ambulance corps helping wounded brittish soldiers.
I think to gain more rights for indian people under brittish rule.
I make no bones about it Im sure his intentions were good its just the intentions of the brittish were basicly a slaughter campaign against the zulu.
The zulu themselves are not as war like as the books paint them.
I always remember this bit of history when ghandi is mentioned because its a part a bit overlooked in my opinion.
Also he at very least was in the vegitarian society and I believe the theosophical society I wonder how much he learned from blavatsky?

great book gives alot detail about ghandi and blavatsky
Indian critiques of Gandhi
By Harold G. Coward
Back to top Go down
Harrifer
Harrifer

Male Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Gandhi - Introduction   Gandhi - Introduction Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 8:26 am

uratsukudoji wrote:
I always found it intresting that gandhi was a millitary man working in in ambulance corps helping wounded brittish soldiers.
I think to gain more rights for indian people under brittish rule.
I make no bones about it Im sure his intentions were good its just the intentions of the brittish were basicly a slaughter campaign against the zulu.
The zulu themselves are not as war like as the books paint them.
I always remember this bit of history when ghandi is mentioned because its a part a bit overlooked in my opinion.
Also he at very least was in the vegitarian society and I believe the theosophical society I wonder how much he learned from blavatsky?

great book gives alot detail about ghandi and blavatsky
Indian critiques of Gandhi
By Harold G. Coward

Your problem here is that you blame Gandhi for the British fighting with Zulus because he helped their wounded. Do you see how meaningless that is?
Back to top Go down
Uratsukudoji
Uratsukudoji

PostSubject: Re: Gandhi - Introduction   Gandhi - Introduction Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 9:22 am

no because I dont blame ghandi at all I think he was doing a good thing actually.
I was simply pointing out how overlooked most of this is not making any direct attack on the man.
in fact he is someone i really admire so blame isnt an issue with me.
Also I just find it ironic he was in wars at all helping the brittish that would consider him a 3rd class citizen.
so to say my problem is anything seems a bit shallow no offense.
Back to top Go down
Harrifer
Harrifer

Male Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Gandhi - Introduction   Gandhi - Introduction Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 8:17 pm

Uratsukudoji wrote:
no because I dont blame ghandi at all I think he was doing a good thing actually.
I was simply pointing out how overlooked most of this is not making any direct attack on the man.
in fact he is someone i really admire so blame isnt an issue with me.
Also I just find it ironic he was in wars at all helping the brittish that would consider him a 3rd class citizen.
so to say my problem is anything seems a bit shallow no offense.

Well then I misunderstood you. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
Uratsukudoji
Uratsukudoji

PostSubject: the written word   Gandhi - Introduction Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 1:06 pm

spoken words are often misunderstood and written ones proboly twice as much.
No worries it happens all the time. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gandhi - Introduction   Gandhi - Introduction Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gandhi - Introduction
Page 1 of 1