The Philosophical Perfection Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Buddha Chat

What is Trust?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

What is Trust? Empty
PostSubject: What is Trust?   What is Trust? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 9:54 pm

What is Trust?

There has been a lot of talk lately about not being able to trust. We all have our reasons (and they are all good ones). Often times the advice given is that you simply have to trust again. Although that is true, it does not point to the direction in which to do this. It is missing the HOW.

How does one learn to trust again? That indeed is a great question. First we must look at what trust is. I think we all have the same general idea of what is trust – it is a perception of honesty, competence and similar values. It is reliance on another. The person you are trusting must fulfill your ethical ideas. And the very first people we learn to trust are our parents. And if we perceive that they failed us in anyway, we become stuck in a pattern of mistrust that is very hard to break.

Now consider this. You can’t trust anyone.

To some this may be a shock for it may come across as deeply cynical. To others they roll their eyes and say ‘No kidding. Brilliant Lucas. Did you come up with that all on your own?’ So let’s look at that statement, but not in any cynical way – I have no desire to fuel the negativity surrounding trust or to be pessimistic.

What is Trust? Trustimageuz6

Even the most trustworthy person on the planet will have a bad day. And in a particular moment that person can easily snap at you and say or do something that causes you to distrust them. Depending on the person you may still trust them, and forgive them, but still they have betrayed your trust according to our definition. Others we clearly know we can’t trust (certain government officials, certain lawyers and certain co-workers). In the end what it comes down to is that at some point at some time, someone will betray your trust because trust is a very personal idea. Your own idea and it will be broken.

Some will say you must trust, or put your faith in God. But this does not work for everyone, because there are many people out there who think God is the one who has betrayed their trust. And if this does work for you, don’t mess with it. Keep trusting in God.

Now that I’ve sent everyone into depressing despair, consider this:

The only person you can trust is yourself.

In any given situation, at any given time, you are the common thread. You are the only constant. You are the only one you can trust. And the beauty of this is that it gets everyone else off the hook. You no longer need to judge them for not acting accordingly. You no longer need to throw stones at them for what you perceive as betrayal. In any given situation, you can trust yourself to deal with the situation. You can trust yourself to know what to say, or what not to say. You can trust yourself to not take things personally. By trusting yourself this allows people to be who they are without judgment or even preconceived notions on how you think they should act. It suggests an understanding that their betrayal, their selfishness is their issue. Not yours.

Understand that people will act in ways that you will call selfish, or rude, or a multitude of other ways. The key, the trick, here is to understand that you can trust yourself that you will be okay. No matter what.

And the only way to trust yourself is to practice it. Remove your expectations of others and ALLOW yourself to trust YOU. In the face of greatest danger, in the face of greatest fear – trust yourself.

Here is a great definition of Trust I found:

“To allow without fear.”

I would like to leave you with the lyrics to a song by Blue Rodeo, aptly titled ‘Trust Yourself’

someday soon
and I don't know when
your little world
will come crashing in
don't think twice
I'll be around
turn your back
someone's gonna let you down
you know that it's true
nobody led you on
they left that to you
now you'll be alone
when the sun comes up
with your tattered little dreams
and a broken cup
then you'll have to
trust yourself
and don't believe in anymore lies

you waste your time
think too much
really make a mess
of the things you touch
poor little bird
with a broken wing
better look around now
you know your losing everything
it's just a game
thought you had it all lined up
but somehow that's changed
now you'll have to run
and not get caught
and you'll have to hide
if you like it or not
then you'll have to
trust yourself

someday soon
and it won't be long
you'll ring the bell
but they'll all be gone
they took your jewels
and your statues too
left you with a pile of things
you never learned how to use
well here it comes again
you showed us where it all began
well here's where it ends
and you'll be alone
when the sun comes up
tattered little dreams
and a broken cup
then you'll have to trust yourself
and don't believe in anymore
trust yourself
and don't believe in anymore
trust yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKsQ8u1Ov8Q
Back to top Go down
The Philosopher
Admin
The Philosopher

Male Number of posts : 320
Job/hobbies : Engineer
Registration date : 2008-11-21

What is Trust? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Trust?   What is Trust? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 12:15 am

Actually Lucas you are talking about very important Topic which is Trust and also Trusting ourselves.....As Nothing can let us down or even break us...It may be wasting our time to spend it on such negative thoughts believing in lies which will never let us grow or be healed.

Time is running !

WE DON'T NEED TO WASTE OUR TIME AS WE ARE NOT GOING TO LIVE FOREVER.

What is Trust? 33pz8
Back to top Go down
Conatus
Conatus

Male Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

What is Trust? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Trust?   What is Trust? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 10:25 pm

Trust is the general assumption that certain events or other kind of activities can be foretold.
Back to top Go down
Winglee
Winglee

Female Number of posts : 44
Job/hobbies : Movies and Philosophy!
Registration date : 2008-12-25

What is Trust? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Trust?   What is Trust? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 12:43 am

I think trust is different from faith.
because trust comes after the possibility of being betrayed. Its because u think that the person may not fulfill promises, so u have to trust him to exclude this possibility. Trust is broken down when the result turns out unexpected. So it is a term used only between human beings. Right, trust is an assumption which can be refuted by facts.

And faith is a term used between human and God who wont and must not betray anybody by definition. No possibility of NOT exists in faith.
As far as i know, the only thing that wont betray is the law of nature,which i can put faith on.

As for myself, i d rather put faith on myself because i wont betray myself surely. And inside is also the only truth that i can find cause no matter how it changes, its still my mind.
Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What is Trust? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Trust?   What is Trust? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is Trust?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Philosophical Perfection Forum :: General Forum :: Philosophy and Wisdom-
Jump to: